Study Abroad Release/Waver
Release and Waiver of Liability and Program Participation Agreement
Student’s Name: _____________________________________________________
Student’s Home Institution: ____________________________________________
Program Title: _______________________________________________________
Program Dates: ______________________________________________________
Please carefully read and make sure you understand all provisions of this Agreement
before signing. This is a legally binding document and you are releasing rights by
STUDY ABROAD IS GREAT BUT HAS RISKS: Snow College (“SNOW”) believes that participation in study abroad programs by its
students can be an important part of a student’s learning experience. Such programs
however, involve certain risks. In order to participate, each student must read carefully,
complete, and sign this Release and Waiver of Liability and Program Participation
Agreement and submit it as part of the Application process to the Study Abroad Office
prior to the Program.
I WANT TO GO: I wish to participate in the Program, and in consideration for being permitted to
participate in the Program, I hereby represent and agree as follows:
- I WILL ACT LIKE AN ADULT: I understand that I am an adult and that I will be expected to act like an adult.
I understand that I am expected to take care of myself and take responsibility for
my actions. I understand that there will not be supervision during much of the time
spent in the Program. I understand that while there may be a Program Director, faculty
or other advisors on the trip they will be a resource, not my parent, supervisor or
keeper and I am ultimately responsible for myself and what happens to me.
- I AM AGREEING TO RELEASE SNOW: I understand that I am being required to sign a release of claims as a condition
of participation in this program because sometimes bad things happen and I agree to
take legal and financial responsibility if they do. I have carefully read this Release,
understand it, and understand I am releasing rights I might otherwise have.
- I UNDERSTAND THERE ARE RISKS: I understand that participation in the Program involves risks not found in study
at the College, including risks involved in traveling to and within, and returning
from, the Program site(s).These include risks involved in traveling to and within,
and returning from, one or more foreign countries; foreign political, legal, social
and economic conditions; different standards of design, safety and maintenance of
buildings, public places and conveyances; local medical and weather conditions; and
other matters described in the U.S. Department of State Country specific Information
(and Travel Warnings and/or Travel Alerts, if any) that I may access at http://travel.state.gov. I understand that there may be other risks, including the risk of negligent conduct
by the program advisors and others associated with SNOW. I accept all of these risks
and voluntarily elect to participate in the Program.
- ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND RELEASE: In consideration of being allowed to participate in the Program, I hereby freely assume
all risks which may be associated with or result from participating in the Program.
I further agree to release the State of Utah, Snow College, their officers, employees,
agents, contractors and volunteers, including any SNOW employees involved in the Program
in their personal capacities, (“Releasees”) from any and all liability, claims, demands,
actions, loss, claim, damage, injury, illness, or harm (“Claims”) to me of any kind
or nature arising out of or related to my participation in the Program including where
Claims occur due to the negligence of Releasees. This includes, but is not limited
to, damages, injury, death or loss occurring during travel and/or activities other
than those specifically required in order to participate in the Program that I may
choose to undertake before, during, or after the Program. It is my express intent
that this Release bind my heirs, assigns, and personal representatives.
- ORIENTATIONS: I understand that SNOW conducts an orientation session for Study Abroad Programs.
I agree to attend an orientation. I understand that if I fail to do so, I have increased
the risk of problems occurring and agree to take full responsibility for that.
- OTHERS MAY CAUSE PROBLEMS THAT MIGHT COST ME TIME OR MONEY: I understand that SNOW in no way represents, or acts as agent for a Host Institution,
if any, the transportation carriers, the hotel(s) and any other suppliers of services
(“Others”) connected with this program. I further understand that SNOW is a) not responsible
or liable for injury, damage, loss, accident, delay or other irregularity which may
be caused by the defect of any vehicle or the negligence, fault or default of Others,
b) not responsible for losses or expenses due to sickness, weather, strikes, hostilities,
wars, natural disasters, acts of terrorism, personal decision to leave the program
early, ejection from the Program, or other such causes, and c) not responsible for
any disruption of travel arrangements, or any consequential additional expenses that
may be incurred therefrom. I acknowledge and agree to accept all responsibility for
loss or additional expenses due to delays or other changes in the means of transportation
and other services in the program plan due to sickness, weather, strikes, hostilities,
wars, natural disasters, acts of terrorism, personal decision to depart from the program,
ejection, or other foreseen or unforeseen causes; to accept all responsibility whatsoever
for any loss, damage, destruction, theft or the like to my luggage or personal belongings;
and that I have adequate insurance or sufficient funds to replace such belongings
and release and will hold SNOW harmless therefrom.
- MISSING THE AIRPLANE/BUS/TRAIN/OTHER TRASPORTATION: I acknowledge and agree that in the event I become detached from the study abroad
group, fail to meet a departure bus, airplane, train, or other conveyance, or become
sick or injured and unable to travel I will bear all responsibility to seek out, contact,
and reach the trip group at its next available destination, and to bear all costs
attendant to contacting and reaching the group at its next available destination.
- REFUND POLICY: I understand that there is a strict policy limiting refunds should I choose to not
go forward with a Program. I agree to abide by the refund policy and to not make any
claim for refunds outside of the policy.
- I WILL FOLLOW THE LAWS OF THE COUNTRY I AM IN: I understand that each foreign country has its own laws and standards of acceptable
conduct, including dress, manners, morals, politics, alcohol use, drug use and behavior.
I recognize that behavior that violates those laws or standards could harm SNOW's
relations with those countries and the institutions therein, as well as my own health
and safety. I will become informed of, and will abide by, all such laws and standards
for each country to or through which I will travel during the Program and assume responsibility
for my actions.
- I WILL FOLLOW ALL RULES INCLUDING THOSE OF SNOW OR RISK GETTING KICKED OUT: I will comply with SNOW’s policies, rules, standards, and instructions for student
behavior generally and for the Program, including the SNOW Student Study Abroad Handbook
and SNOW’s Code of Student Conduct (collectively, “standards”). I acknowledge and
understand that my compliance is important to the success of the Program and to SNOW’s
willingness to permit future similar activities. I agree that SNOW has the right to
enforce the standards, in its sole judgment, and that it may impose restrictions,
up to and including disciplinary proceedings, not granting academic credit for, and/or
immediately dismissing me from the Program, for violating the standards or for any
behavior detrimental to or incompatible with the interest, harmony, and welfare of
the SNOW, the Program or other participants. I also agree to comply with all directions
and instructions of the Program Director and faculty members during the course of
the program and that failure to do so may result in the imposition of sanctions.
- IF I AM DISMISSED IT WILL BE AT MY OWN EXPENSE: I understand that if I am dismissed from the Program that I am not entitled to any
refund of monies and that SNOW is not responsible for any costs I may incur in connection
therewith including obtaining alternate lodging, meals or the cost of returning home.
- NO DUE PROCESS: I agree that, due to the circumstances of foreign study programs, procedures for
notice, hearing and appeal applicable to student disciplinary proceedings at SNOW
do not apply. If I am removed from the Program, I consent to going home at my own
expense with no refund from SNOW of any monies paid.
- I WILL DEAL WITH LEGAL PROBLEMS MYSELF: If I have or develop legal problems including with any foreign national(s), foreign
business, or foreign government while participating in this study abroad program,
I will attend to the matter personally with my own personal funds and will hold SNOW
harmless therefrom and that SNOW is not responsible to provide any assistance under
- THINGS MIGHT GET CHANGED: I understand that it is within SNOW’s discretion to change travel, accommodations,
and other arrangements as it deems necessary. I understand that SNOW is not responsible
for nor does it represent or act as agent for, and cannot control the acts or omissions
of the host institution or service providers, including those who provide transportation,
tour, dining or sleeping accommodations. I understand that SNOW may cancel without
penalty the offering and conduct of this Study Abroad Program; withdraw any part of
the Study Abroad Program and to make any alterations, deletions, or modifications
in the itinerary and/or Academic portion of the program as deemed necessary by SNOW,
the Director of Study Abroad, or by the Program Director as agents of SNOW.
- MEDICAL: I agree to: a) consult with a medical doctor with regard to my personal medical needs
and confirm that there are no health-related reasons or problems which preclude or
restrict my participation in this Program, b) if, in my sole judgment I deem it necessary
or advisable, arrange for additional adequate medical and hospitalization insurance
to meet any and all needs for payment of medical and hospital costs while engaged
in this Program, c) be responsible for and pay all medical and other expenses incurred
while in the Program even if reimbursement from insurance is expected, d) consult
and arrange with a medical doctor to receive the appropriate inoculations/shots for
this program, and e) release SNOW from any legal responsibility for payment of the
my medical, medication, or hospitalization needs.
- SNOW MAY MAKE MEDICAL DECISIONS FOR ME: I agree that SNOW may, but is not obligated to, make any decisions and take any actions
regarding my health and safety that it considers to be warranted under the circumstances,
and hereby authorize SNOW to make such decisions and take such actions including specifically
I grant permission to the Program Director or other SNOW officials to authorize emergency
medical treatment, if necessary. I agree to pay all expenses relating thereto and
release SNOW from any liability for any such actions.
- VOLUNTARY MEDICAL DISCLOSURE FORM: I understand that I have been advised to complete the Voluntary Medical Disclosure
Form portion of the Application to let the Program Director know of any special medical
conditions, needs, allergies and other health information that might help them help
me in the event of a health problem during the Program. I understand that I do not
have to complete the Form but it is highly recommend and I assume all risks that may
occur if I do not complete the Form.
- I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR COSTS AND EXPENSES INCURRED: I understand that it is my responsibility to know and understand expenses of the
Program for which I am responsible and I will do so. I agree to assume full financial
responsibility for all such expenses including those incurred by me directly or on
my behalf including special expenses incurred at my request such as special flight
arrangements or private rooms. I also agree to be responsible for any financial responsibility
for damage or destruction to property of third parties.
- I WILL NOT BIND SNOW: I will not hold myself out as having the power or authority to bind or create liability
- PHOTO AND IMAGE RELEASE: I hereby give SNOW the absolute right and permission to use, publish, re-use, re-publish,
and distribute any photos, videos or other recreations of my likeness (“Photos”) in
which I may appear, as well as unlimited use in any advertising/publication/medium
whatsoever, without restrictions with regard to Photos taken in connection with the
Program. I release Releasees from any and all claims arising out of or in connection
with the use of Photos including libel, slander, invasion of the right of privacy,
publicity or personality relating to the exercise of any rights referred to herein.
- REMAINING PROVISIONS VALID: I agree that should any provision or aspect of this Release be found to be unenforceable,
that all remaining provisions will remain in full force and effect.
- UTAH IS THE FORUM FOR ANY LASNOWIT AND UTAH LAW APPLIES: I agree that this Agreement and all matters connected with it shall be construed in
accordance with the laws of the State of Utah in the United States of America, which
shall be the exclusive forum and venue for any laSnowits filed related to this Agreement
or the Study Abroad Program.
- NO OTHER DOCUMENTS OR PROMISES: This release herein represents my complete understanding with SNOW concerning its
responsibility and liability for my participation in the Program. It supersedes any
previous or contemporaneous understandings I may have had with SNOW on this subject,
whether written or oral, and cannot be changed or amended in any way without a written
agreement signed by myself and an authorized representative of SNOW.
- READ THE ATTACHMENT: I also understand and agree to abide by the attached Additional Terms and Conditions
- HAVING CAREFULLY READ THIS I STILL WANT TO GO AND AGREE TO SIGN THIS AGREEMENT: I wish to participate in the Program, I have read and completed this Release and Waiver of Liability and Program Participation Agreement. I understand that I have options to signing this Release. I can study abroad with
another program or travel by myself or choose not to go on this completely voluntary
activity. I have carefully read this Release and voluntarily agree to it. I represent
that my statements herein are accurate and complete and that my agreement to the provisions
herein is wholly voluntary, and further understand that, prior to signing this Release,
I have the right to consult with the adviser, counselor, or attorney of my choice.
Additional Terms and Conditions of Participation
- Any person who feels they are the victim of discrimination including sexual assault
or misconduct should report the matter to the Program Faculty. In addition, the matter
may be reported to the SNOW Title IX Coordinator Staci Taylor at 435 283-7120 or email@example.com.
SNOW will provide resources available to victims of sexual assault insofar as it is
able to do so.
- For the purpose of all Study Abroad and International Experience programs at SNOW,
no program participant (e.g., faculty, staff, or student) is authorized to drive a
private vehicle for the purpose of transporting program participants to, from, or
during activities identified as part of the program.
- Drinking of alcoholic beverages by any participant in a Study Abroad Program during
“working hours” (i.e., those hours designated by the Program Director as time to be
spent on SNOW sponsored activities within the designated program plan of activities)
is strictly prohibited. I understand that if I am of legal age in the country that
after “working hours” I may choose to drink alcohol (unless prohibited by local laws
or the nature of certain designated Study Abroad trips). However, I understand that
I am solely responsible for that choice. Please understand most cultures disapprove
of “getting drunk.” The consumption of alcohol can put you and/or the group at risk;
increase the risk of sexual assault and other problems, and personal and group safety
is of the highest priority.
- Narcotics, illegal drugs, or other controlled substances are strictly prohibited from
being in the possession of, or used by, any person participating in the Study Abroad
Program and possession or use may be grounds for dismissal from the program resulting
in an early return home, at the participants own and sole expense.
- No person engaged in Study Abroad or International Experience activities may have
in their possession or use any kind of firearm for any purpose while participating
in the program.
- All participants are individually responsible for their personal conduct while on
SNOW Study Abroad Programs, and SNOW has no obligation to intercede or undertake to
protect participants from the legal consequences of violations of the law for which
they may be responsible.
- All participants must be over the age of 18. As adults, program participants are not
supervised or monitored during non-working or non-program activity hours.
- Students are expected to adhere to the rules and regulations of their housing facilities.
Some facilities enforce curfews and noise regulations. You are expected to be respectful
of your host and follow these rules. Any property damages or fines that you incur
during your program are your responsibility. Overnight guests are prohibited from
staying in program lodging.
- Insurance may be available for the trip, consult with the Study Abroad Office.
- Paying attention to your state of mind and mental, emotional and physical well-being
is important to maintaining a positive study abroad experience. Many students experience
culture shock and some degree of homesickness while studying abroad. Understand this
is normal and do not be afraid to talk about it with your peers or your group leader.
In addition, due to the heightened emotions and the additional stresses of culture
shock, physical, psychological and emotional issues can become more pronounced or
even manifest for the first time during a study abroad experience. If you have a history
of physical or mental health conditions, it is recommended to disclose this information
on the Voluntary Medical Disclosure Form.