Skip to content

HB 144

In 2002, the Utah legislature passed House Bill 144 (HB-144). This legislation allows qualifying undocumented immigrant students to pay in-state tuition at a Utah college or university.  These students DO NOT qualify for official residency for tuition purposes, but they can qualify to have the Non Resident portion of tuition waived. The Board of Regents made an exception for certain students if they come with the affidavit that states the following:

  • The student attended high school in Utah for three or more years.
  • The student graduated from a Utah high school or has received the equivalent of a high school diploma, such as a High School Equivalency Certificate, in Utah.
  • The student registered as an entering student for college classes not earlier than Fall semester 2002.
  • The student is not in the U.S. on a current visa as a non-immigrant
  • The student has filed an application to legalize their immigration status or will file an application as soon as they are eligible to do so.


How Do I Qualify and Apply for HB144?

To apply for HB144, complete the online admission application found at  Once you are admitted as a student to Snow College, please read the qualifications and complete the HB144 Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Form and return to the Admissions Office (150 College Avenue Ephraim UT 84627).  You can also email the completed form to ude.wons@egellocwons or fax to 435.283.7149.

PLEASE NOTE:  If you have attended multiple institutions in the State of Utah, you must fill out a HB144 affidavit at each institution you attend.