Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

Important letter about COVID-19 to Parents and Family of Snow College Students! Read Now →

Updated: March 23, 2020

Is the college still holding classes? Updated

The latest announcement from state leaders again requires us to reevaluate this fluid, dynamic situation.  Classes will be cancelled next week, March 16-20.  We know this complicates teaching and learning, and we – again – appreciate your flexibility and understanding.  College offices and services will remain open next week.  Spring Break will still be held on March 23-27.  We will transition to on-line coursework on Monday, March 30.  Check Canvas for specific information about your courses.

Are online classes cancelled? New

No. The courses that have been online all semester will go forward as scheduled.

How do I know if my course is being continued face to face or moved to online?

Check Canvas for information about each course.

What about my lab classes?

There will be online and face-to-face options available. Please see Canvas for more information.

Do I return to school after spring break?

Our campuses and services will remain open, and we are here to serve you. What we are trying to do is limit large group gatherings. Faculty will be available in person and/or online to assist you with classwork.

What if I want to leave before spring break? Updated

We will not be holding classes in-person or online the week of March 16-20. Students may to leave campus if they choose. College offices and services will be open.

I’m an international student. What does this mean for me? Updated

We encourage you to stay and finish the semester. ESL classes will most likely continue face to face as normal. All campus services, including housing, will remain open.  Please stay in touch with the Center for Global Engagement. They are sending additional information to you. 

What will be the availability of my professors?

All faculty will have scheduled online office hours. Many will also have in-person office hours for those who remain on campus. Contact your professor for more details.

How will I take my exams and finals?

Your instructor will communicate the format for exams and finals. Check Canvas for more details. ADA accommodations will be available as needed.

Do I still have to complete my spring classes by the end of the semester, or will I be given more time?

You will still be expected to complete your assignments and finish your courses by the deadlines given by your professors. All coursework must be completed by the end of the semester.

Can I still withdraw from my classes? Updated

Because of the unique circumstances, we have extended the official withdrawal date to April 17 and will waive the late withdrawal fee. Withdrawing from classes does not change the balance owed to the College, if any. In addition, you will not receive a refund. Finally, you will still receive a “W” on your transcript for all classes you withdraw from.

Will summer classes be cancelled?

There are no plans to change summer classes at this time. Most summer courses are already taught online.

Will there be classes fall 2020?

Yes. There has been no change to fall 2020 classes.

What will happen with my IVC classes? Updated

  1. All classes have been canceled through March 29th.
  2. On Monday, March 30th, students will watch their courses live on Canvas using the blue "Conferences" link on the left-hand side of the Canvas course. Students will log into Canvas. Go into the course’s page, and click on the “Conferences” link. The student will find the live broadcast under the New Conferences section. Recordings will be made available 3 hours after the class has completed in the Completed Conferences section. Recordings and notes from the live lectures will be available for 14 days after the initial recording date. Students are expected to watch the course live, during its normally scheduled time. If the student can't view the class live, the student is expected to watch the recording before the next lecture.

    Big Blue Button Tech Support Hotline: 435-283-7320.

  3. Face-to-Face classes taught at the high school by a high school teacher, will resume as instructed by the high school's administration. If high school classes are put online, Face-to-Face classes will follow suit.

    We want to limit the disruption for students as much as possible. This will continue through the end of the Spring semester. CTE classes will be handled the same. Creativity will likely be necessary to complete the CTE labs.

    There will likely be an option for a Concurrent Enrollment student to elect to take a Pass/Fail grade within the guidelines established by Snow College. Through the end of the semester, students will be asked to use online proctoring software for text and quizzes. If the student is not able to access the online software, they will be asked to go into their high school and take the test with a proctor there. If that is not an option, please reach out to your professor to arrange another method to take your test.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact Snow College Concurrent Enrollment Director Mike Daniels. He can be reach by calling 435-283-7320, (C) 435-851-5484 or by emailing email address for this person.

What campus services will remain open?

The college will remain fully functional. All offices will remain open.

Will the Ephraim Campus’s Badger Den and Buster’s Bistro and Richfield Campus’s Badger Den be open?

The Badger Den in Ephraim will remain open. Buster’s Bistro inside the Huntsman Library (Ephraim) will close for the remainder of the school year. Buster’s Café in Richfield will close at least through March 31.

What hours will Food Services be open? Updated

Food services will be closed during spring break. After spring break, they will be open with limited hours, starting on March 30. Hours may change based on demand.

Will my remaining Badger Bucks be refunded? Updated

Yes. Please see the Badger Bucks page for more information on how to request a refund. The student will only receive a refund of unused funds on their badger buck account less a $10 processing fee. Refund requests will be processed starting March 30. If you do not submit a refund request, any balance remaining, less the processing fee will be refunded in May 2020.

Will the library and computer labs remain open?

Yes. Both will be open with online and limited face-to-face hours.

Will the writing and math labs remain open?

Yes. Both will be open with enhanced online options and limited face-to-face hours.

Is the testing center open? Updated

No. The testing center is closed until further notice.

Are the activity center and fitness center open? Updated

Effective March 18, the Horne Activity Center, the Bergesen Athletic Center, and the Richfield Campus Fitness Center will be closed.

What if I don’t have a computer or access to the internet at home?

The on-campus library computer labs will remain open. Additionally, the Teaching and Technology Center (TTC), located in the library, has a limited number of computers available for check out. They can also assist you with other technology related questions you may have. If you have concerns the TTC is unable to resolve, please call our hotline at 435.283.7200.

How do I pick up my mail or package from Mail Services? New

We will send an email to the address on file when a letter or package arrives for a student. The email will give details on how to retrieve your items.

I am no longer on campus, but a letter or package arrived at Mail Services for me. What should I do? New

Please make sure all your contacts have your forwarding address. If something arrived at Mail Services for you, please contact us to give us your forwarding address. Please note: UPS and Fed Ex items cannot simply be forwarded. There will be a fee to cover the new shipping charges.

How do I access the Richfield Mailroom? New

The Richfield Campus mailroom will be available via the receiving door/Sorensen Administration Building M-F 8 AM-5 PM. Please drop off any mail for interoffice or off campus deliveries to the black box identified in the corner by Sam’s office door.

Will the courier be taking mail between the Richfield and Ephraim campuses? New

Mail delivered by the Snow courier will be dropped off and picked up at the GSC mailroom MWF. At this time the courier will not be stopping at other locations.

If I come back after spring break, can I stay in my housing?

Yes. Residence Halls will remain open.

What do students living in campus housing need to know?

Housing and Residential Life has put plans in place if a student living on campus is found to have coronavirus.

  • If a resident comes down with the virus, and the student is not retained in a hospital or home setting, we have rooms set aside that have their own bathroom to support isolation.
  • Meals to go can be obtained through Food Services and provided to the resident. Meals are left outside of the room with communication to the individual that it has arrived.
  • The Resident Assistant for the space where the student lives will be the resident's primary contact. This includes a daily communication to the resident asking for anything they need as well as their meal order, pick up, and delivery.
  • Campus Services custodial team wipes down common area flat surfaces and door handles. This process starts in October and goes through March for the flu season.

Will I receive a refund on my housing? Updated

Beginning March 16th students who cancel their on-campus housing contract prior to April 15th will be eligible to receive the following recompense:

  • $175 refund to their student account
  • Return of $100 refundable portion of deposit
    • Students ineligible for deposit refund are those who opted in for promotional discount and did not pay the refundable $100 deposit.
  • Unused Badger Bucks can be refunded through the completion of the Badger Bucks Refund Request form, which can be submitted to the cashier’s office.

*Under normal circumstances, any cancellation received during this time of the contract would result in the student owing 100% of their contract and the forfeiture of their refundable deposit.

Will I receive a refund on my tuition and/or fees?

No. We will still be holding classes, they are just shifting to a different format. We will continue to provide you with the same high-quality education you’ve come to expect from Snow, and we are committed to providing all the support we can to ensure student success.

Additionally, all services funded by tuition and fees such as the Wellness Center, student activities, tutoring labs, and the libraries, will continue to remain open and available.

How does moving online impact financial aid?

As long as students maintain the same number of credits as originally planned, financial aid for tuition will not be impacted.

What will happen with my campus job? Updated

Again, we encourage all students to remain home after spring break. Although some student jobs are still available, with rapidly changing circumstances, we cannot guarantee ongoing positions for student employees who cannot work remotely. If you are only coming back to campus for your job, we strongly urge you to reconsider. Please contact your supervisor before making a decision.

I’m concerned about my ADA accommodations. What can I do?

We are committed to the success of all our students. If you have questions about an ADA accommodation, please call our ADA office at 435.283.7321.

Do faculty and staff still come to campus to work?

Staff and faculty will still be expected to work on campus, and all offices are expected to remain open during their regular hours. Remote work and leave will be approved on a case by case basis.

What if I would rather telecommute?

Please work with your supervisor to see if telecommuting is an option for your position.

Will employee trainings move forward as planned?

Human Resources will cancel all manager trainings. Additionally, Faculty Lunch Bunch and Staff Lunch and Learns are on hold until further notice.

What will happen with our student employees?

Since all offices will remain open, all student employees will remain employed. We encourage all managers to reassure student employees that they will still have jobs after spring break. Some students will not want to return and do their online coursework elsewhere, so we also encourage managers to be understanding of student employees who choose not to return. If students do not return, managers are welcome to hire replacements for the rest of the semester.

What is Snow College doing to protect employees?

Employees are encouraged to follow the recommendations put forth by the CDC in regard to handwashing, avoiding contact with people who are sick, and avoiding touching your face. Employees are asked to stay home if they are sick. Please work with your supervisor to work remotely or take leave as needed.

Additionally, Campus Services and individual departments are doing extra cleaning and disinfecting across both campuses.

How should faculty and staff handle students who say they are sick? New

Encourage the student to stay home and to call their health care provider.

I'm an employee. I (or a family member) is sick, and I'm out of sick leave. What should I do? New

First, stay home. Next, contact your supervisor to discuss your situation. Your supervisor will work with administrators to best address your unique needs.

Are on-campus college sponsored events being cancelled?

College sponsored large gatherings, whether they take place inside or outside, are cancelled through April 30.

Will the commencement ceremony be held?

Please check back for information on commencement.

Can I still visit Snow College for a tour? Updated

We will not be conducting group tours until further notice. Please contact the Admissions Office at 435.283.7159 if you are interested in learning more about Snow College.

Will summer programs go forward?

At this time there is no change to our summer programs.

Are there any confirmed cases of COVID-19 on campus?

No. There are currently no confirmed cases of COVID-19 (coronavirus) in Ephraim or Richfield. There is one confirmed case in Central Utah.

Is Snow College prepared if COVID-19 is found on campus?

Yes. Snow College will work with the Central Utah Public Health Department and the Utah Department of Health to make plans on how to respond if and when coronavirus is detected.

What is the college doing to clean our facilities? New

Our facilities team is working to deep clean and disinfect every room on campus. Additionally, they are using extra-strength disinfectant cleaner daily, and several student employees are walking through buildings daily to constantly wipe down door handles, handrails, etc. We also have provided disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer for employees to use.

I have a health related question that isn't addressed here. New

Please refer to our COVID-19 related Health & Wellness page for more specific information.

Have the federal laws relating to COVID-19 affected Snow College’s leave policy? New

Yes. Please read the new Snow College FFCRA Leave Policy.

Is there any aid that the public universities are eligible for?

Yes. Under the Education Stabilization Fund, just over $13.9 billion is available for a Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund for institutions of higher education to directly support students facing urgent needs related to coronavirus and to support colleges and universities as they cope with the immediate effects of coronavirus and school closures. From this amount, just over $12.5 billion will be available to all institutions of higher education based on the proportion of Pell and non-Pell full-time-equivalent students who were not enrolled exclusively in distance education prior to the coronavirus emergency. Public colleges will receive the vast majority of funding under this formula. Over $1 billion in additional funding is also provided to minority-serving institutions and HBCUs, many of which are public colleges and universities. Finally, $348 million is available to the Secretary to provide grants to institutions that have the greatest unmet needs related to the coronavirus.

$3 billion is also available in flexible formula funding to allow Governors to address the needs of their elementary and secondary schools and institutions of higher education. Public colleges can therefore be eligible for additional funding if the Governor determines they have been most significantly impacted by the coronavirus or if the Governor deems such institution essential for carrying out emergency educational services to students, such as child care and early childhood education and social and emotional support.

What forms of relief are students impacted by COVID-19 eligible for?

Students will be eligible for emergency financial aid grants from their institutions to meet unexpected and urgent needs related to the coronavirus, such as expenses related to food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child care. Students who are currently participating in the Federal Work Study program can continue to receive work-study payments from their institution if they are unable to work due to workplace closures.

Relief also exists for students who must drop out of school due to COVID-19. Students will have the portion of their student loan taken out for the semester (or equivalent) canceled. Further, students who received a Pell Grant or subsidized student loan will not have those types of financial aid counted toward their lifetime limits.

What relief is provided to federal student loan borrowers?

Borrowers do not need to make payments on student loans held by the federal government (Direct Loans and FFEL Loans held by the U.S. Department of Education) through September 30, 2020. Borrowers with commercially-held FFEL loans and Perkins Loans are not eligible, and private student loan borrowers are also not eligible. No interest will accrue on such loans for the same time period. This provides more than 37 million borrowers with relief from the financial pressure of making monthly payments for approximately six months.

During this period, borrowers will not be subject to involuntary collections (garnishment of wages, tax refunds, and Social Security benefits) and will not have any negative credit reporting for late payments during this time period. Student borrowers will continue to receive credit toward Public Service Loan Forgiveness, Income-Driven Repayment forgiveness, and loan rehabilitation even though they will not be making payments. If borrowers want to continue making payments during this time to pay down principal and previously accrued interest (since no interest is accruing as of March 13) they are free to do so.

When will payments resume for federal student loan borrowers?

Starting August, student loan borrowers will receive notices to help inform them that their regular loan payments and interest accrual will resume after September 30, 2020. These notices will help protect borrowers by providing them with a transition period to stay on track as regular loan payments resume and to offer them the option to enroll in other relief options (such as income-driven repayment, which can lower a borrower’s monthly payment).

I’m currently enrolled in a foreign institution abroad and am hearing that I might lose my student loans if I take classes online. Does this bill help me?

Yes. The CARES Act allows the U.S. Secretary of Education to permit a foreign institution to offer any part of its program through distance education if there is a public health emergency or other disaster or emergency declared by the government authorities in the country where the college is located. These distance education programs may be offered for the length of the emergency or disaster and the following payment period, to ensure students can maintain their student loans and finish out their coursework before reverting back to in-person instruction.

I’m currently enrolled in a foreign institution abroad and due to personal circumstances would like to take part of my coursework at another foreign college or a college in the U.S. Can I do so and maintain my student loans?

As long as there is still a public health emergency or other major disaster or emergency related to the coronavirus declared by U.S. government officials, then you may take part of your coursework at a U.S. institution of higher education with which your home institution (the foreign institution) enters and is permitted by the U.S. Secretary of Education, and maintain your student loans. This allows you to maintain your primary enrollment in your degree program with your original foreign institution, but gives you flexibility to take some coursework back in the U.S. if you need to come home. However, the CARES Act only allows this flexibility with U.S. institutions of higher education, and not other foreign institutions that are not already eligible for the federal student loan program.

I am an administrator at a foreign institution and my college had to transition to distance education before the CARES Act was passed. We encouraged our American students with student loans to continue taking their coursework online even though they were not permitted to at the time due to existing requirements in the Higher Education Act. Will our program lose eligibility for U.S. student loans?

The CARES Act recognizes that many institutions had to transition to distance education well before the Act was passed. If the program at the foreign institution was otherwise in compliance with requirements for federal student loan eligibility but transitioned to distance education between March 1, 2020 and the date of this Act’s enactment, then that program will be deemed eligible for the federal student loan program. That eligibility will last the length of the public health emergency or other major disaster or emergency related to the coronavirus, as declared by U.S. government officials, and the following payment period. After that point, the program must return to its original in-person instruction delivery mode in order to maintain eligibility for federal student loans. If your college transitions to distance education during the 2019-2020 award year, you must report that change to the U.S. Secretary of Education by June 30, 2020. If your college transitions to distance education on or after July 1, 2020, then you must report that change to the Education Secretary within 30 days.

Does the six-month suspension of payments and waiver of interest apply to borrowers who have federally-guaranteed but commercially-held loans through the FFEL and Perkins Loan Programs?

No. The suspension only applies to all Direct Loans and FFEL loans held by the Department Education (which is about 25% of the FFEL portfolio). Approximately 37 million borrowers (or 87 percent of federal student loan borrowers in repayment) will receive relief under this plan. This is not the plan Senate Democrats would have written on their own, and will be continuing to fight to extend relief to borrowers of commercially-held FFEL loans and Perkins Loans.

Does the sixty-day protection from involuntary collections apply to these FFEL and Perkins borrowers?


Will outstanding interest on student loans capitalize during the six-month suspension of payments and waiver of interest?

During the six-month period until September 30, 2020 when payments are suspended, interest is also not accruing on federally-held loans. Therefore, there is no interest cannot capitalize (be added to the principal) on the loan. It remains unclear how interest that accrued prior to March 13th will be treated as this decision is left up to the Secretary of Education, but Senate Democrats will be strongly encouraging the Secretary not to penalize borrowers. Generally, interest only capitalizes when you leave deferment, forbearance, or income-driven repayment. Borrowers who do not change their loan repayment, or who move from “standard” to “income-driven” plans do not risk any capitalization.

Ask Your Question

Do you have a Coronavirus related question? We are working on sharing additional information as we can. First review the FAQ page to see if your question has already been answered, then if you still have questions please submit them below.

This field is required.
This field is required.