Skip to content

Request Accommodations

Snow College is committed to helping all students to have access to curriculum, activities, and events at Snow College. For students who may have disabilities that interfere with this goal, we are committed to working with the student to provide reasonable accommodations as required by federal, state, and local laws. Our policy is to provide accommodations whenever an individual has a disability-related need and requests accommodations. A disability-related need for a requested accommodation exists when there is an identifiable relationship between the requested accommodation and the student’s disability.

To be considered for accommodations through the Office of Disability Services, a student must:

  1. Request accommodations with the Coordinator of Disability Services.

    Coordinator of Disability Services
    Cidney Shinsel
    Office Phone: 435.283.7321
    Office: Suite 241 Greenwood Student Center
    Email: ude.wons@lesnihs.yendic

  2. Have a disability that substantially limits one or more major life activities that include, but is not limited to walking, talking, seeing, hearing, or learning.

  3. Provide current and appropriate information about the disability, when necessary.

Reasonable accommodations are defined as:

Any reasonable modification or adjustment that will allow a qualified student with a disability to access a program, service or activity or have the same rights and privileges as students without disabilities and to benefit from all educational programs and activities. Makes it possible for a qualified student with a disability to have access to the educational program and for an instructor to more fairly evaluate the student's understanding of the material. Provides access to all services, but is not a guarantee for success.

A Reasonable Accommodation Is Not:

An aid for the mastery of course content. Any accommodation would cause undue financial or administrative hardship or create a fundamental alteration to courses, facilities, or on-campus housing policies/procedures.

Services not Included under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act):

Bathing, Dressing, Personal Aides, Other Personal Care

Eligibility Process is a 4-part process:

The first step in getting accommodations at the post-secondary level of education is to “self- identify.” To self-identify means to recognize that the student has a disability that is creating significant barriers in one or more major areas of life. The student needs to tell a college official that they are an individual with a disability. The college official at Snow College is the Coordinator of Disability Services. To self-identify, the student needs to complete the Request for Accommodations.

Snow College provides academic accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Individuals seeking accommodations must provide appropriate medical, mental health or educational documentation of their condition so that ODS can: a) determine eligibility of accommodations, and b) if eligible, determine appropriate accommodations. 

Documentation required to verify the condition, severity, and functional limitations includes completion of the form found at this link or a PDF version found here PDF icon. This form or provision of equivalent information to the ODS by a licensed a physical, mental health or educational professional. Depending on the condition, the appropriate professional should be a licensed psychiatrist, psychologist, neuropsychologist, or other qualified and licensed physical, mental health or educational professional. Professionals completing this form must have first-hand knowledge of the condition, experience in working with students with physical, psychiatric or psychological conditions and ideally a familiarity with the physical, emotional and cognitive demands experienced by students in an academic setting. Diagnoses of disabilities documented by family members are unacceptable.

The documentation is to help us understand how the disability impacts your ability to have access to the curriculum as well as participate in tasks such as communication, reading, writing, housing, lab activities, coursework, and online learning. Documentation that provides information regarding physical (mobility, endurance, dexterity, etc.) as well as cognitive (attention, processing speed, working memory, communication, etc.) and behavioral abilities will be helpful as well.

NOTE:  An IEP or a 504 plan alone may not be enough documentation to guarantee accommodations can be put in place in college.  Additional documentation may be required before accommodations can be determined.

The documentation can be submitted to the college with your “Request for Accommodations” or one of the following ways:

  • Fax: 435-283-7314
  • Email: ude.wons@lesnihs.yendic
  • Electronic submission directly from medical, mental health or educational provider
Depending on the documentation received and the accommodations requested, additional documentation may be requested as pertains the accommodation(s) requested. We will consider any information, including but not limited to the student’s description of their needs, records of past accommodations at previous post-secondary schools, high schools, and state or high stakes authorized testing accommodations. Formal psychological or medical evaluations, as well as letters from past health, education, or service providers, will also be considered if provided.
Although the documentation provided is critical, the conversation between the coordinator and the student is crucial to determine what accommodations might be appropriate. This is an opportunity for the coordinator to learn first-hand from the student what functional limitations the student experiences as a result of their disability. It is an interactive conversation in which the most appropriate disability-related accommodations can be determined. This conversation, along with a review of the provided documentation, will be the groundwork for determining appropriate accommodations. The student should contact the Office of Disability Services to arrange a time to have this discussion in person or over the phone, if away from campus. Make the appointment by:
Phone: 435-283-7321
Email: ude.wons@lesnihs.yendic
All information submitted through conversation and documentation to the Office of Disability Services at Snow College becomes part of the student’s record and is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Upon receiving the documentation, if necessary, and completion of the interactive discussion, an evaluation of your request for accommodations will take place. It may take up to 4 weeks to complete the review of your eligibility for accommodations. Once completed, the student will receive an email stating the status of the request along with instruction of how to proceed. Due to the time, it may take to complete the process for receiving accommodations at the post- secondary level; students are encouraged to begin the process as early as possible. Students planning to attend Snow College can begin the request for accommodations before receiving a Badger ID#. For example, high school seniors are encouraged to start the process for accommodations in the spring or summer before attending the fall semester.

Once accommodations have been approved, letters will be written stating the approved accommodations. Students will be notified through email or text message that their letters are ready to be picked up. At which point, the students will get the letters for their professor(s) from the Office of Disability Services. It is the student’s responsibility to give their accommodation letters to the professors which they want to be notified of their accommodations. The Office of Disability Services does not communicate nor share the student’s approved accommodations with professors at any point. It is the student’s responsibility to give their letters to their professors. If this process is difficult, due to the student’s disability, they may request accommodation in the delivery of letters to professors.