Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions


Face coverings are required in all college buildings and in outdoor spaces when social distancing of six feet is not possible.

Snow College follows public health guidelines for the use of face coverings – cloth masks, scarves, gaiters, and bandanas – to prevent the spread of COVID-19 when social distancing cannot be maintained. Cloth face coverings should be laundered routinely. Disposable face masks should only be worn for one day before disposing.

Face Coverings Are Expected When..

  • Inside all college buildings
  • In college vehicles when riding with others
  • Outside when it is difficult to stay six feet from others
  • Elevators, hallways, break rooms, and other common areas where social distancing may not be possible

Face Coverings Are Not Expected When..

  • In office areas occupied by a single individual or when seated and social distancing is maintained
  • As a participant in recreation facilities when social distancing can be maintained
  • Outside when social distancing can be maintained
  • In break rooms or dining areas while eating but maintain a 6-foot social distance
  • An individual has a disability that prevents wearing a face covering

Frequently Asked Questions

Updated: November 4, 2020

Why is Snow College requiring face coverings?

Recent research shows that an individual sick with COVID-19 may be most infectious several days before they even develop symptoms, which could lead to significant transmission. There is also concern that many people who are infected with COVID-19 do not know they are ill. For this reason, wearing a face covering or mask that covers both the nose and mouth is one of the simplest and least expensive ways to stop the spread of COVID-19.
The best available science demonstrates that if everyone wore face coverings, it would significantly lower the transmission rate of the disease. There is also a growing body of research that shows face coverings help prevent COVID-19 from being spread when worn by an infected person.

When do I have to wear a face covering?

Face coverings must be worn by students, faculty, staff, and visitors, in Snow College buildings and facilities, as well as outside where social distancing measures (at least a 6-foot distance) are difficult to maintain. This includes Snow College vehicles and equipment when riding with individuals from other households.

What if I cannot wear a face covering or mask?

Some individuals may not be able to use a face covering due to medical conditions, including chronic respiratory conditions. If you are unable to wear a face covering, reach out to your accessibility coordinator to help identify a reasonable accommodation, such as a specially designed face covering or remote learning/working.
Student Accessibility: ADA Office Link

Employee Accessibility: HR office Link

Do I have to wear a face covering if I have my own dedicated work area/office?

If you work in an area or office that permits adequate social distancing from others, then no face covering is required. However, if you periodically have interactions with others or move to or through areas where others are present (e.g., hallways, restrooms, common areas, break rooms, conference rooms, etc.), you must have a face covering readily available to put on for these circumstances.

What are the requirements for face coverings in Snow College vehicles?

Snow College employees (including student employees) must wear face covering in Snow vehicles or carts when traveling with others.

Do I have to wear a face covering outside?

A face covering must be worn when walking into these buildings and in restrooms, hallways, and changing areas. However, a person who is actively using an indoor recreational or physical training facility and can maintain a physical distance of at least six feet from any other person is not required to wear a face covering.

Do I have to wear a face covering in the Activity Center and Athletic Center?

Because of the unique circumstances, we have extended the official withdrawal date to April 27 and will waive the late withdrawal fee. Withdrawing from classes does not change the balance owed to the College, if any. In addition, you will not receive a refund. Finally, you will still receive a “W” on your transcript for all classes you withdraw from.

What kind of face covering should I use?

Face coverings include cloth face masks, scarves, gaiters, or bandanas, which can be secured over the mouth and nose of an individual. Plastic face shields are also acceptable.

What should I do if I see someone at work without a face covering?

All employees should model expected behavior by wearing a face covering or mask when social distancing is difficult to maintain. You are encouraged to maintain a six-foot distance from those from other households even if you are wearing a face covering.
You may encourage others to wear face coverings or provide face coverings for them if they are in situations where social distancing is difficult to maintain, but please understand that there may be legitimate reasons why someone is unable to wear a face covering. If you have concerns, you may talk with your supervisor.

Can a supervisor send me home if I refuse to wear a face covering at work?

Employees are expected to wear face coverings at work where social distancing measures (at least a six-foot distance) are difficult to maintain. If an employee is unable to provide their own face covering, they can pick one up in the HR office. Because not wearing a face covering when expected can pose a health and safety issue, supervisors can treat refusal to wear a mask as a performance/safety issue and should report the individual to the HR office.

How will Snow College enforce the wearing of face coverings?

By fall, the student code of conduct will specifically include a provision about following health and safety directives. Students who do not wear a face covering to in-person classes will be asked not to return to class unless they have a covering on, and lack of student compliance in not wearing face coverings should be reported to the Dean of Students.
All Snow College employees are expected to wear a face covering in college buildings and vehicles, and outside when six feet of social distancing is not possible. Anyone not in compliance who does not have an ADA exception, should be reported to HR.

What if someone can’t wear a face covering due to a hearing impairment?

People who are deaf or hard of hearing—or those who care for or interact with a person who is hearing impaired—may be unable to wear cloth face coverings if they rely on lipreading to communicate. In this situation, an individual could use a clear face covering or a face shield. If a clear face covering isn’t available, consider whether you can use written communication, closed captioning, or decrease background noise to make communication possible while wearing a cloth face covering that blocks your lips.

How will staff, instructors, and other students know that a particular student has been approved to not wear a mask? Isn’t this a violation of privacy?

This will be coordinated through ADA Office for students and HR for employees, just like any other accommodation.

What if I don’t have a face covering?

Employees can pick up a face mask in the HR office. Students who cannot provide their own face covering should contact the Provost’s Office.

How often will common spaces be cleaned?

Snow College has expanded its janitorial crew to allow for frequent cleaning of high-traffic areas. Common areas of campus will be wiped down multiple times every day.

How often will classrooms be cleaned?

Cleaning stations will be positioned in each building with cleaning supplies. Students and faculty will be asked to grab a disinfectant wipe on their way into class and wipe down their desk and chair. Each classroom will be deep cleaned by the janitorial staff daily.

How often will bathrooms be cleaned?

Bathrooms will fully disinfected nightly. Students will also be wiping down high-traffic areas throughout the day.

How often will student housing be cleaned?

Student housing will follow the same pattern as other common spaces on campus. Student workers will wipe down all common areas throughout the day. Students will be asked to clean their personal rooms more frequently and will receive training on how to do so to effectively remove germs.

How should employees obtain cleaning supplies for work areas?

Cleaning stations will be placed in each building with hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes. Employees should discuss any additional cleaning supply needs with their supervisor. The supervisor will then make the request to facilities.

What is the procedure for cleaning the testing center/computer lab/math lab/writing lab?

Some stations will be closed to allow for social distancing. Workstations will be thoroughly wiped down after each user. Students are encouraged to grab a wipe and also wipe the area down before they begin work.

How will contact tracing be done?

Our local public health departments will follow their procedures to ensure contact tracing is completed.

With the flu season upon us, how will we differentiate between flu and COVID-19 symptoms?

Please contact your health care provider to determine if you need a COVID-19 test. Whether sick with COVID-19 or the flu, you should take precautions so that you don’t spread the illness to those around you.

What is considered "Close Contact"?

Close contact is defined as being within six feet of another person for 15 minutes or more without masks. If you had close contact with an individual within two days of their onset of symptoms and/or positive COVID-19 test, you will be asked to self-isolate.

What should I do if I think I have COVID-19 or have had a positive diagnosis?

Fill out the COVID-19 symptom reporting form immediately. Your information will help us ensure you are supported if you have received a COVID-19 diagnosis. The symptoms of COVID-19 are varied, and you should stay home and avoid contact with others if you are sick with any illness, however mild your symptoms. If you have any of the following symptoms, you should seek a COVID-19 test: fever, cough, shortness of breath, muscle aches and pains, decreased sense of smell, or a sore throat.

What should I do if my housemate or roommate has COVID-19?

If you live with someone who has a positive COVID-19 test or diagnosis, you must quarantine your home for 14 days to ensure you do not have and spread the virus. Fill out the COVID-19 symptom reporting form immediately to ensure you are supported during your quarantine.

One of my classmates just tested positive. Does our whole class need to quarantine?

No. If proper protocols were followed, there is no need for the class to quarantine. 

Where can I get help for increased anxiety?

Snow College provides mental health services through the Counseling and Wellness Center. Please visit their page for more information.

How will classes be taught the week of Thanksgiving 2020 and after?

As of now, the school plans to remain face-to-face after Thanksgiving. Administration is watching the situation closely and may make adjustments to the plan if necessary.

Will students be required to leave Snow College Housing if we go virtual?

The Office of Residence Life will work with students living on-campus should the college switch to remote learning.

What is Snow doing for high-risk students in the classroom?

Any student who is at a higher risk for complications from COVID-19 should reach out to the ADA office to coordinate academic accommodations. 

If someone I live with is high risk, and I don't feel comfortable attending in-person classes, what are my options?

We know that are some students anxious about the coronavirus and others anxious to get back on campus, and we encourage students to look at their own situation and make decisions that feel right for them. Most students will find that their fall classes will be offered in a variety of teaching formats, some requiring students to be in class and some allowing students to connect from outside of the classroom. For those classes that are in-person, face coverings will be required, seating will be marked to ensure social distancing, and high-touch surfaces cleaned regularly to help minimize the risk of COVID-19 to students and instructors.
If students have concerns about how their classes will be taught, they can reach out to their academic advisor to talk about online options.

Will there be student activities in the fall?

Snow College will still provide activities, but many will be virtual or smaller to comply with public health guidance and the best available science.

Will there be additional expectations this fall for students?

All students and instructors will be required to wear face coverings/masks in classrooms as well as social distance. We also ask our campus community to be vigilant about wearing face coverings and maintaining social distancing while out in the community. Anyone who is sick with even mild symptoms should stay home to prevent the spread of disease, and everyone should continue to wash their hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds frequently throughout the day.

Will computer labs remain open?

Yes. Computer labs will remain open with social distancing and sanitation protocols. 

Will Food Services continue to provide food?

Yes, Food Services will continue to offer services to students and employees. 

What should I do if my housemate or roommate has been exposed to COVID-19?

Only those in close contact with the person who tested positive need to quarantine. If someone you live with tests positive or you start having symptoms, then you should self-isolate, get tested, and contact the COVID CARES team. 

Can an employee who is symptomatic be required to go home?

Yes. A supervisor can and should require an employee who is ill to stay home to recover. Employees may qualify for paid leave benefits under the new Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA), effective 4/1/2020. Non-benefited employees may also qualify for special paid leaves during the outbreak.  For questions about reporting time away from work, please contact HR.

If an employee is self-isolating for symptoms that may indicate a COVID-19 infection, when can they return to work?

Individuals with COVID-19 symptoms (fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, muscle aches and chills, or decreased sense of smell or taste) are encouraged by Utah public health officials to seek testing to confirm whether they have the virus. Individuals should follow public health guidelines for leaving isolation.

What if an ill employee is concerned about not coming to work because they do not have sick leave available?

For the present time, supervisors are authorized to approve telework and/or flexible schedules wherever possible for positions where work can be done remotely. For positions unsuitable for telework, Snow College is taking preventative efforts aimed at containing potential cases of COVID-19 by asking those who recently traveled and those who have a fever, cough, or shortness of breath – however mild – to stay home and practice social distancing, which will protect those who continue to come to work. Employees who cannot telework and do not qualify for any COVID-19 related leave, should contact HR to discuss options.
This public health emergency affects everyone differently, and Snow encourages all employees to support each other and to promote mental wellness during this time.

How will pay for non-benefited employees (with no accrued leave) be handled if they are symptomatic or asked to self-isolate?

Non-benefited employees may qualify for paid leave benefits under the new Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA), effective 4/1/2020. If an employee does not qualify for FFCRA leave, supervisors should contact HR.

What if an employee is anxious about coming to work for fear of contracting COVID-19?

This public health emergency affects everyone differently, and Snow College encourages all employees to support each other and to promote mental wellness during this time. Supervisors are encouraged to work with the employee and HR to determine a suitable solution.

What should a supervisor do if an employee has underlying health issues or is at a greater risk for complications from COVID-19?

If an employee has an underlying health condition that puts them at a greater risk of serious complications from COVID-19, supervisors should be supportive of their concerns. If possible, the employee should work remotely or be provided with other accommodations to help them limit exposure to the virus. Requests for accommodations for at-risk employees will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Supervisors should contact HR for assistance in handling requests.

Can an employee work remotely if they are sick or if they are caring for a sick family member?

Yes. Supervisors and employees should work together to identify flexible and creative solutions to ensure continuous university operations. Employees who are too sick to report for work are not expected to work. Supervisors should expect that more employees may need to stay home and/or telework to care for sick family members or to take care of children who are home due to public school closures during the COVID-19 outbreak. 
Employees may use FFCRA emergency paid leave or emergency family medical leave to cover work time missed due to illness or to care for a sick family member.

If an employee travels out of state, are they required to quarantine upon return?

No, however employees should adhere to all travel guidance provided by the CDC, the state of Utah, and their local health department and local government authorities. Currently, both federal and state governments have directed individuals to avoid discretionary travel. Employees who do travel out of state are asked to self-report their travel upon their return.

Can I get plexiglass installed in my workspace?

Please contact facilities to request plexiglass or other cleaning/safety supplies for your work area.

Is there a limit to how many employees can be in an area at once?

No. Please maintain social distancing where possible and remember to wear face coverings to help keep your office safe.

What resources do we have for students who may be feeling extra anxiety due to the coronavirus?

Students who are experiencing extra anxiety and who need help coping with the stresses of COVID-19 should be referred to the Counseling and Wellness Center.

Will I be notified if a student in my class tests positive for COVID-19?

The college will work with the local health department and follow appropriate contact tracing procedures.

What will be the procedure be for students to request extra time for assignments, tests, etc. due to illness?

Students will contact the COVID Care Team, and the academic liaison on the team will assist students.

What if an instructor is exposed to/gets COVID-19?

Departments should work together to cover classes, just as with any other illness or emergency that arises.

What if instructors are uncomfortable touching the papers from their students?

Canvas is an excellent tool for digital assignment submissions.