Skip to content

What is concurrent enrollment

Concurrent Enrollment offers high school students the opportunity to take college-level courses for Snow College and high school credit simultaneously, or concurrently. Concurrent Enrollment (CE) students register for the class at both the high school and Snow College. While students earn high school credit, they also earn Snow College credit which is recorded on a permanent college transcript. Through this program, students will be able to enroll in Snow College general education and CTE courses offered on their high school campuses during their regular school day.

CE is open to high school students with a minimum of a 3.0 “B” grade point average and/or an ACT composite score of 22 or higher. At Snow College's discretion, a recommendation from a high school counselor may be required.  Students must be ready for the additional rigor and work outside of class that is required to be successful in a college-level course. Compared to most high school classes, CE courses will go into greater depth, require more work and offer greater challenge.

High School students who are not already admitted must first apply to Snow College before they can enroll in CE courses. There is a $30 application fee when you apply to become a Snow College student. If you have already taken Snow College classes and have a Badger ID number, you do not need to apply again.

All Utah colleges and universities, including Snow College, charge a minimal tuition fee of $5 per credit hour for CE courses. Check your account on Badger Web to make sure you do not owe for tuition which could block you from enrolling in future courses. Payments can be made online by logging into Badger Web. 

Talk with your counselor about which courses you want to take. Each high school selects which courses it wants to make available to its students. Counselors at each high school will decide which classes to make available based partly upon student interest, so students should discuss and plan with their counselors in which courses they may have interest. Courses at each high school may be delivered:

  • Face-to-Face by a high school teacher who has the qualifications needed to conduct the course for college credit,
  • over live Interactive Video Conferencing (IVC) by a Snow College instructor teaching from Ephraim or Richfield,
  • as a Hybrid section utilizing recordings of IVC classes in a way that students stay on the same pace during the semester as students participating in the same class live, or
  • as an Online course: BUS 1600 and NURP 1000 

Note that ENGL 2010 (offered in Spring semester) and GNST 1200 are offered only to seniors who are completing a General Education Certificate of Completion OR an Associate degree.

Hybrid Concurrent Enrollment (HCE) is an integral part of Snow College’s Interactive Video Conference (IVC) program delivered statewide to Utah high schools. HCE serves as a flexible way for some students to participate in CE courses which they would not otherwise be able to take because of scheduling problems. HCE sections of courses are open only to high school juniors and seniors.

The lectures from every Snow IVC course are recorded. In HCE courses, each recording will be made available to students enrolled in the Hybrid section of the class about an hour after the lecture is completed. Students in the Hybrid section will have a scheduled time at their high schools when they watch the recording before the next lecture in the course is presented. In this way, HCE students will stay current with the work being done in the IVC section (i.e. assignments will be due at the same time for Hybrid students as they are for IVC students).

Here are specifics on the way the HCE program will operate:

1.     Students must meet the same qualifications as all concurrent enrollment students (3.0 GPA or 22 ACT Composite Score) and must be junior or senior standing. Sophomores are not allowed to take Hybrid courses.
2.     The student is required to occupy a regular period in his/her high school schedule in order to watch the lecture either on the same day of the lecture (preferred) or before the next lecture is given.
3.     Students will be invited to watch and complete a 45-minute Hybrid Orientation before participating in their first Hybrid class. Students will be invited to participate in the Orientation in Canvas when they are enrolled in a Hybrid course.
4.     Students must watch recorded IVC lectures (using headphones) in a regular, designated location in the high school, such as a computer lab, and at the same time and on the same days each week. Students cannot plan to watch the recorded lectures at a time outside their normal high school schedule. When a student and counselor have a plan how to make an HCE course work in the student's schedule, the counselor should submit an online Hybrid Request From.
5.     In order to provide the student as much flexibility as possible when scheduling the class into his/ her high school day, recorded lectures will normally be available an hour following the end of the live IVC class. Multiple students in the same HCE class at a high school do not need to schedule the same period to watch recordings.
6.     The high school is required to designate a monitor to keep track of students viewing the lectures daily and to proctor any exams as needed. This monitor will keep a record of attendance which will be sent to the course instructor and the monitor will be included as an Observer in the course Canvas to help the student understand what assignments are due and when.
7.     Access to the recording will be embedded in Canvas. In order to maintain the interactive component of courses, professors will normally require Discussion Board posts during or after each lecture to ensure engagement and understanding of lecture subject matter. 
8.     HCE section assignments will have the same due dates and times as the live IVC section from which the lecture is recorded. Assignment submittals will normally be made through Canvas.
9.     Students are encouraged to take classes face-to-face at their high schools or over IVC whenever possible. HCE is the third-best alternative and should be used ONLY when a student is unable to schedule the course face-to-face or on IVC. Because HCE courses should be a last resort for students to take a class, Hybrid courses are open only to high school juniors and seniors. HCE courses will keep the same pace, rigor, interactivity and integrity as the course delivered over live IVC broadcasts.