Snow College Science/Math Lifescience Assessment
The mission of the Biology Department is threefold:
- To expose students to the basic principles of the science of biology which may include
a laboratory experience (General Education).
- To give students majoring in Classical Biology, Natural Resources, or biology related
fields a solid background in the science of Biology and biological laboratory techniques
that will allow them to transfer to a university at the junior level.
- To give students majoring in a pre-professional field (pre medicine, pre-nursing,
pre-pharmacy, pre-dentistry, etc.) a solid background in Cell Biology, Plant Biology,
Animal Biology, Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, Microbiology, and Pathophysiology
that will allow them to transfer into a professional program, or to a university at
the junior level.
Students who complete recommended Biological Sciences curricula at Snow College will
be expected to demonstrate that they:
- know the essential qualities and key processes commonly found in life forms;
- have begun to understand the diversity of living organisms and their myriad interrelationships
in the biological world;know how to apply systematic
- methods to understand complexities of individual organism or to distinguish among
- can use microscopes, computers, other commonly available lab equipment and supplies;
- can read the literature of the life sciences flexibly, analytically and imaginatively;
- appreciate that they have been exposed to an unfortunately small number of the myriad
beau ties and marvels of the living world, extant or extinct;
- have some understanding of the role that biology plays in modern life as well as past