Weeds, the Snow College literary journal, is a student production in every possible sense. The content is written by students and the magazine is staffed and produced by students. Many, though not all, of the works published in Weeds are originally composed for English 2250, Creative Writing. The position of editor-in-chief is awarded competitively.
Weeds is also published in coordination with the Eris Sondrup Nielson Contest, which provides awards for the best literary works submitted in each of three categories.
We are readying ourselves to call for Weeds submissions for the 2019 edition of the Snow literary journal. As part of our preparations we would like to choose our editorial staff. We will first hire an editor-in-chief and then subject editors in fiction, creative non-fiction, poetry, art, and photography.
Students, working on Weeds is a great opportunity for gaining valuable team and editing experience.The editor-in-chief, as compensation, will have their Spring Semester textbooks paid for (up to $250). Experience with a campus journal looks great on a resume, and it is a fantastic way to engage with the artistic community at Snow. Best of all, it's a lot of fun. This does take a time commitment, especially in the spring, but this is also a chance to add to your legacy at Snow College in a lasting way. Apply by October 15.
2019 Rules and Guidelines
1) Faculty and enrolled students of Snow College, Manti High, Gunnison Valley High, North Sanpete High, Richfield High, North Sevier High, and South Sevier High are all eligible to submit.
2) A student contestant may enter all categories with a limit of three poems, one short story, one essay, and two art entries.
A faculty contestant may enter one submission total.
3) Please submit your name, whether you are student or faculty and where, and your contact information.
4) All entries are due by February 1, 2019.
5) Submit information and entries to email@example.com.
6) Poems must be under a total of 90 lines for up to one poem, two, or three poems.
7) Short stories and essays must be under 1500 words.
8) Winners of our contests will be privately notified and asked to read their entries at our publication party in April 2019.