Housing Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions


Q: What is an RA and RD?
A: RAs (Resident Assistants) are leaders within your building that live on-campus to whom you may go for support or questions. An RD (Resident Director) works within the Office of Residence Life and helps provide a safe community-learning environment and lives within the Residence Halls, supervising the RAs. 

Q: What is my reservation fee for?
A:The reservation fee is necessary to hold, or reserve, a bed in your name. The reservation fee will be released to your student account the last semester of your contract. If you cancel your contract, the reservation fee will be forfeited. 

Q: Where can I park on-campus?
A: You can park your car in any parking lot on-campus as long as it is not labeled Faculty/Staff. Parking is FREE! Ephraim City does restrict overnight parking on city streets during the winter for snow removal purposes, so there is no overnight parking on College Avenue.

Q: Is bicycle storage available?
A: Bicycle storage racks are available outside of every on-campus residence halls. Make sure to register your bike with Public Safety to avoid theft and bring a new lock to secure your bike to the rack. Bicycles are not allowed in the Residence Halls or rooms and should not be left over the summer. 

Q: Are there community kitchens in the Residence Halls with non-cooking rooms?
A: The Suites at Academy Square have two community kitchens for students located on the 2nd and 4th floor. If living in Anderson Hall there is a community kitchen that students may use as well. 

Q: Can I have a pet?
A: Only fish in a 10-gallon or smaller aquarium are permitted in the Residence Halls and apartments. Due to health standards, limited space, and students with allergies, all other pets are not allowed in the residence halls.
Students with a documented need for a service/emotional support animal must coordinate with our campus ADA Coordinator at least seven (7) days in advance of move-in to allow for reasonable accommodations.

Q: How do I get my mail?
A: Students can get a PO Box with our campus Mail Services in the Greenwood Student Center. Sign-up is free, but you must have your student ID. Mail/packages cannot be sent to the buildings physical addresses. Your mail can be sent to a PO Box using the following example:

 John Smith
 150 College Ave #(insert assigned number)
 Ephraim, UT 84627

The Office of Residence Life is not responsible for delivering packages and/or other postage items to students in the residence halls. Students are responsible for securing a PO Box and/or a means to receive mail service.

Q: Should I get property (renter's) insurance?
A: Yes, renter's insurance is strongly encouraged as stated in the Housing and Residence Life Agreement/Contract.

Q: Do I have cable TV hookups, phone and internet access in my room?
A: Yes, students are provided with cable in each room. Each building includes both wired and wireless connections and usage falls under the Information Technology Acceptable Use Policy as noted in the Code of Conduct. However, phone hook-ups are not located in any of our Residence Halls. 

Q: Are there computer labs in the halls?
A: No, however, Labs are available for student use in the Karen Huntsman Library.

Q: Is there a place to do laundry? How much does it cost?
A: Each Residence Hall has laundry facilities and the cost is FREE! But be courtesy of others and the machines. 

Q: When do the Residence Halls close for the break?
A: The Residence Halls close at noon on the Monday following finals for the Fall semester and reopen at noon on the Saturday prior to the first day of classes for the Spring semester. 

Q: Do all freshmen have to live on-campus?
A: No, but it is recommended that freshman to take a serious look at on-campus housing and the additional services we can provide. 

Q: Can I bring my own furniture?
A: Students may bring desk/office chairs, lamps, etc. No personal beds, desks, couches (large furniture) are allowed.

Q: Where do I check-in?
A: You check into your assigned Residence Hall at the front lobby/entrance of the building. You will be greeted by a staff member from the Office of Residence Life and they will go over a Room Condition Report (RCR) to be completed and signed, then you will receive a key to your room. You will also need to get a Student ID card and have it activiated for your building. 

Q: How do I apply to be a Resident Assistant or Resident Director?
A: Applications are available throughout the year online via the "Join our Team" tab on the right navigation bar. Also, there will be information meetings throughout the year for students to ask questions and inquire about additional information.

Q: When are payments due?
A: Payments for Snow College expenses, including student fees, tuition, and housing, lab fees, student ID card, etc. are all due on the 5th day of each 15 week semester. 

Q: Can I move in early?
A: Unfortunately, no. The only students able to move in early are those on the Football Team, Volleyball Team or student leadership as they have already been scheduled for early arrival. 

NOTE: If you are relying on Federal Financial Aid to assist in covering your housing charges you MUST complete the application process BEFORE June 1st for funds to be available at the start of the fall semester. For details contact a Student Success advisor at email address for this person. 

There are ADDITIONAL STEPS AND PAPERWORK, beyond the initial FAFSA application that must be completed by June 1st. Please see our Financial Aid page for more information. 


Q: How do I apply for housing?
A: Go to www.snow.edu/housing/apply. You, the student, will log-in to the housing application by using your Badger ID or first.lastname as the username and you birthday as the password (MMDDYYYY). 

Q: Can I apply for housing for just one semester?
A: Yes, we do offer the option to apply for a Fall Only contract. There is an additional charge of $150 for this option. You will need to reapply for housing in Mid October to reserve your same room for Spring semester, by selecting a Spring Only contract. We also offer a Spring Only contract at no additional costs. 

Q: What are the room costs for the year?
A: Rates are determined based on which type of housing you choose. For more information regarding rates click on "Price Guide" on the right navigation bar. Please note that the rates listed on this page are per semester.

Q: What is my room assignment? When will I receive it?
A: Students now that have ability to select his/her own room through the housing application. You will know immediately after your pay your application and reservation fees. In addition, the Office of Residence Life will send placement letters via email to your preferred email address listed on your housing application periodically throughout the summer. 

Q: Who is my roommate? May I contact my roommate before move-in?
A: If you have one or more roommates, those usernames will appear in your online application on the final page called "Application Status". This can be accessed at any time by you, the student. Next to each roommates username you can 'Send Message' to your roommate and talk via email. Also, in your placement email you will receive a list of each of your roommates/suitemates/apartmentmates. 

Q: Can I request a roommate?
A: Yes, in the application process you may search for a student that may have already applied, you may request a roommate as well. This request will then be sent to the other student. This does not determine that you will be placed together. The student you requested will need to email you back and the two of you can then determine which room to select in the remaining application process. 

Q: What are my housing options if I am an Athlete?
A: Snow College offers one Athletic Living Learning Communities (LLC) in Nuttall Hall in joint cooperation with the Athletic Department. This hall is for NJCAA athletes on the Volleyball, Men's Basketball, and Women's Basketball teams. 

Q: What if I don't get along with my roommate or want to move to a different building?
A: You will fill out a Roommate Agreement at the start of each semester with your roommate(s) and an RA. You must live in your assigned room for the first three weeks of classes before room switches can be made. After the first three weeks, you may go through a mediation process if conflicts do arise. Mediations will occur with a Resident Assistant (RA) present. If the situation cannot be reconciled you and your roommates, may meet with a Resident Director for further situation analysis.
If you are moved to a different room, apartment or suite a new Roommate Agreement will be filled out with the new roommate(s). If you choose to move, you will be charged a Room Change Fee, any subsequent moves will result in a higher Room Change Fee and a maximum of two moves.


Q: What should I bring?
A: All Residents:

  • Alarm Clock
  • Bed sheets for a Standard Twin Bed (75"X38") (except in Anderson & Nuttall Hall bring Twin XL bed sheets)
  • Cellphone and charger (recommended)
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Computer equipment (Ethernet cord, charging cord, etc.)
  • Computer printer
  • Fan
  • Hangers
  • Laundry basket and HE laundry soap, dryer sheets, etc.
  • Lamp/desk lamp (non-halogen)
  • Mattress cover
  • Hand/standing mirror
  • Pillows
  • Plunger
  • Poster putty or masking/painter's tape
  • Trash bin and trash liners (not larger than 10 gal)
  • UL listed power strip with surge protector
  • Vacuum
  • Flashlight
  • Cups, mugs, plates, bowls, utensils
  • Can opener
  • Trashcan

Cooking Room/Apartments: 

  • Cooking Utensils
  • Dishes
  • Shower supplies
  • Toaster
  • Suites
  • Desk Lamp
  • Shower supplies

Personal Care and Hygiene Items:  

  • Basic first aid kit
  • Facial tissues
  • Insurance cards
  • Medical information
  • Nail care set
  • Pain reliever
  • Shampoo and conditioner
  • Shower shoes
  • Shower caddy
  • Lotion and sunscreen
  • Toiletries and toiletry bag
  • Robe
  • Towels and washclothes
  • Sewing kit
  • Sunglasses

Classes and Studying Items:  

  • Book bag
  • Calculator
  • Flash drive(s)
  • Dictionary
  • General school supplies
  • Pens, pencils, highlighters
  • White out
  • Tape
  • Stapler
  • Paperclips
  • Scissors
  • Ruler
  • Loose leaf paper
  • Printer paper
  • Three ring binders/sprial notebooks

All residents should carefully read our appliance safety policies. 

Q: What should I NOT bring?
A: Students should not bring:

  • AC units
  • Alcoholic Beverages or paraphernalia (Snow College has a Zero Tolerance Policy)
  • Barbeque Grills
  • Bread makers
  • Candles and incense
  • Deep Fryers
  • Extension Cords
  • Fire arms
  • Fireworks
  • Foreman Grills
  • Furniture (sofas, recliners, desks, etc)
  • Free Weights
  • Gang Plugs or power strips without surge suppression.
  • Hammer and nails or screws
  • Expensive Items of personal value (best to leave those at general)
  • Holiday lights (christmas or string lights)
  • Hot Plates/Quesadilla Makers
  • Lava Lamps
  • Nails and hammer
  • Panini makers
  • Pets-only small fish are allowed in a 10-gallon tank
  • Popcorn makers
  • Scentsy/candle warmers
  • Space Heaters
  • Toaster Ovens
  • Wall decals
  • Waterbeds
  • Weapon, Firearms and Explosives

Q: What appliances are Approved? 

A: Student can bring the following appliances: 

  • Blender
  • Coffee makers w/automatic shut offComputer and printer
  • Crockpots w/automatic shut off
  • Curling Iron w/automatic shut off
  • DVD/Blueray Player
  • Fan
  • Gaming consols
  • Hairdryer
  • Iron w/automatic shut off
  • Rice Cooker
  • Stereos with headphones
  • Television
  • Toaster


Q: Is it possible to be released from my housing contract?
A: For information on cancelling a contract before occupying a room, please see the cancel link on the left navigation bar.
If you wish to terminate your Housing Contract after move-in or the first day of school, please look at our cancellation policy at www.snow.edu/offices/housing/cancel

Q: What can I do if I don't like my room?
A: First, contact an RA to discuss your dislikes and what you would prefer. Then contact the Office of Residence Life so that we can discuss other housing options. Changes in housing assignments will not take place until after the third week of the semester.

Q: Is there a curfew and are there 'bed checks'?
A: No. Residence Life staff do not complete bed checks, nor do they verify that you come general every night. There are guest visitation hours, please see the Residence Life Handbook for additional information.

Q: How do I get things fixed that don't work in my room, apartment or suite?
A: If there are any issues in your room, please go online to make a maintenance request. Maintenance personnel should address all work orders in a timely manner.


Q: Can I change or cancel my meal plan?
A: No, any student living in a non-cooking room will be required to have $795 of Badger Bucks added to his/her Student ID card. If you live in a cooking apartment you will only be required to have a $200 Munch Card (Badger Bucks). Unfortunately plans cannot be cancelled if you are in an assigned room unless you cancel your entire contract, which includes your housing plan. 

Q: Can I add to my meal plan?
A: Yes, students, parents, and friends may add funds to the Badger Bucks account allowing students to make purchases at the Badger Den and College Bookstore located in the Greenwood Student Center cafeteria and copy machines and Buster's Bistro located in the Huntsman Library. To add Badger Bucks you can go to www.snow.edu/badgerbucks